A main line sewer stoppage is a major plumbing failure! When this line gets backed up there is serious bacterial and water damage. If you even think you have a sewer drain stoppage, it’s important to stop any plumbing usage at home until the clog is removed.
Whether accumulated waste caused a blockage or an outside environmental circumstance caused it, there are many reasons a stoppage can occur. Here are some of the main ones:
- Sludge from the kitchen sink or flushed from the toilet built up over time
- Obstructive objects or improper items got flushed down the lines
- Broken pipes
- Tree roots grew and spread on the pipes
- Pipe sagging
Now, to help you confirm if you think you have a stoppage, here are some signs you’ll see:
- Really Bad Odor- A putrid stench will rise and there’s no getting rid of it. Sewer gas vapor rises up and that’s what causes that pungent, musky smell. It could be from a broken pipe or a combination of kitchen sludge, flushed items, and sewage.
- Multiple Clogs- This is another sign that you may first notice in your toilets and tubs. You’ll start to flush and then you see bubbles or the toilet fills up; or you’ll turn on the washing machine and the toilet overflows or any nearby fixtures get backed up. Multiple clogs at once are indicative of a problem with the main drain system and a plunger won’t fix it.
- Slow Draining- When you do the dishes or take a shower, you’ll notice the water going down unusually slow. This could be a sign of your drain system being improperly graded.
If a stoppage is occurring, contact DiMartino Plumbing right away. Our skilled plumbers can clear it up and help prevent it from happening again.